This week I learned a valuable lesson.
In fact, if I hadn't been building this cake per the specs of a darling birthday girl, I might have left it well alone, and served it just as seen above. I rather like the filling hanging out ruggedly. More for little fingers to swipe prior to cutting. Definitely a plus. Of course, you wouldn't have to fill them, look how darling they look
The same day as the Barbie Pink Rainbow Cake creation, I was also making chocolate cupcakes for Relief Society. But I was craving something from my childhood. Something that only got bought when DAD went shopping, which, BELIEVE ME, was RARE.
And since I am doing an entirely yummy post on cakes, I shall throw this one up, which I made for a very special little girl last month for a very special day.
It's been fun creating these sweet little delights. I think all of my recipes are already here, if you look around a bit (search for "wedding cake," "candy bar cake filling," and "white chocolate whipped cream"). Well... all except the marshmallow filling in the cupcakes, and I'll get to that in a minute.
For the rainbow cake, I halved my wedding cake recipe (which makes 12 cups of batter) and divided it into 6 individual cups, dyed each a different color with Wilton colors, and baked in 8" pans for about 13 minutes (or until bounces bake when lightly touched). Don't forget the bake-even strips!!! Oh, and the whipped cream on the rose cake is slightly shiny and shabby looking due to the addition of a little cream cheese.
That's it! If I can, then you can, and if you do, tell me! I want to see the pics!
Trish's Marshmallow Filling:
3/4 cup real butter
7 oz. jar of marshmallow fluff
1+3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Cream the butter and powdered sugar until creamy and fluffy.
- Gently stir in marshmallow fluff until evenly distributed.
- Place gently into pastry bag with long filling tip.
- Try very, very hard not to put the tip of the pastry bag directly into your mouth to pipe.
- Place long tip inside the center of a cupcake and pipe away! (If I get requests for a tutorial, I'll do it the next time I make these up.)
- Mind you don't pipe too much, or they will crack open in glorious over-filled madness, that you then get to eat all evidence of. Oh, wait. You might want to do that, after all...