Saturday, June 6, 2009

Strike up the accordian music, we are going French!

Come with me, mon ami, and we shall voyage en France.
We will walk le reus,
and wear les bérets rouges,
and eat la cuisine.


WELL... maybe not that cuisine. But we could, at least, have some French toast.

Some Stuffed Cinnamon French Toast Rolls.

Mmmhmmm. Oui, oui.

But to read any further, you must read in your finest French accent, as though Lumiere himself were reading it to you.

Oui! That is better!

Good. Now, we begin by slicing the French bread,

and removing the crusts.

Next, we take each piece and roll it out flat like a crêpe.
Set those aside, it's time to make the filling.

Mix together 1 egg yolk, 8 ounces of softened cream cheese, and 1/2 cup sugar. Blend thoroughly.
In a separate bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon. Stir together until evenly mixed.
Spread cream cheese mixture on
flattened French bread slices.
After spreading, roll up.

When all of your slices are filled and rolled,
melt 4-5 tablespoons of butter.
Now it's time to get your fingers messy!
Brush a roll with butter,
then roll in cinnamon mixture,
and place on aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining rolls.

At this point you can cover them and freeze them for later, refrigerate them to be baked the next day, or use immediately. This is a wonderful prepare-ahead meal.
Bake in preheated 400°F oven for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.

While it is baking, think on the fact that this was

Joan of Arc's favorite meal.


Well, I think so, anyway.

The details are a little sketchy.

And voila!

Délicieux.
I hope you have enjoyed our excursion à la France.
Bien manger!

17 comments:

jana said...

OH THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! Bummer I won't be making these tomorrow! (Fast Sunday!) BUT, Look out Marvelous Monday!! :)

mike & hilary said...

Oh, thank you Trish! You are the awesomewonderfulgreatest EVER!!!

Would you recommend them with syrup?

WishTrish said...

No, Hilary, I do not recommend syrup; that would be death by sweetness and would probably compete with the creamy goodness.

Jana it is, indeed, homemade French bread...

Cherie said...

I love stuffed french toast. We make it alot different.
I have never seen this version but it looks super yummy! We'll have to give it a go!!

outdoor.mom said...

oh thank you for sharing this!! what a lovely dish - and such a creative way to show it!!

Shanen said...

Oh my, that sounds and looks so yummy, I wish I could have been in your kitchen today.

Thank you for the cupcakes. That was sure nice of you. How is Meeka doing? I hope all better.

Lolli said...

Yeah, that's JUST what I needed to see while fasting. LOL! Once again, you amaze me!

elena said...

Got my loaf of bread waiting for tomorrow's yummy breakfast! Seriously, I just want to make them and eat them all now for a treat. (And I totally could, but I'll wait and acutally use these for breakfast tomorrow.)

The Glenns said...

Looks super yummy. If food was something I enjoyed, I would definitely make this :)

Thanks again for subbing today. We had some conflicts. I ended up having to come back for the 3rd hour, but I really appreciate your time with out kids. How was the class today?

A million thanks,
Beth

Sherrie said...

Sounds like dessert to me! I would feel guilty disgusiing this as a meal. My kids would LOVE it though! Yummy!

jes said...

thank you for sharing that i am going to have to make them for my family!

Heidi said...

Trish, Are you trying to make me fat? ;) The girl who grew up in my father's house totally cringed at the cut off crust though. {{shudder}}

jana said...

I looked in your breads... is that french bread recipe posted? Thanks!

Darcy and Adam said...

Hello from your newest fan. I somehow managed to stumble upon your blog today as I was recipe searching, and I'm so excited to use your wedding cake recipe. Thanks for all the inspiration -- you and your family are so cute!

mike & hilary said...

I'm making these as we speak! I cna't wait to try them, but I do have a minor glitch...Any French bread you buy from the store is going to be MUCH smaller than your beautifully homemade loaf. Therefore, we are making Mini versions.

Thanks for the idea, Trish!

mike & hilary said...

The finished product? HEAVENLY! Fabulously, wonderfully, positively SINFUL!!!

I can see what you mean about the syrup. It would definitely make it way too sweet!

They were surprisingly Easy, too! I do wish I had a bigger loaf (therefore bigger slices) to work with. I think I will search out a store that sells bigger loaves. But the mini ones were great, too, because they were bite-size. No forks needed!

I have a feeling we will be making these very often! Thanks again for the recipe, Trish!

The Pierce's said...

Trish do you have a recipe suggestion for the french bread? I really would love to make this!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin