Thursday, August 27, 2009

Blackberry Lemon-Lime Bars, finally.

These are tough economic times. Tough, indeed. Many of us are trying to make lemonade out of the lemons we're being dealt. But I say, when life gives you lemons, make
.
Or, if your culinary Jane is rather plain,
make old-fashioned
.
As serious as these two are about
what they do, they are both
Since I posted these pictures on Facebook last month, I have had SO many requests for the recipes. And you know me... what's mine is yours.

This is a Trish Original, so if you make them, you may very well be the 2nd person in the world to make these. If you try them, please tell me what you think, and if you blog it, please credit me and leave a link.

Trish's Blackberry Lemon Lime Bars

For Shortbread Crust:
1/2 lb unsalted butter, room temp.
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Combine flour and salt and add to the butter mixture just until blended.
4. Dump dough onto well floured board and gather into a ball. Knead a few times.
5. Flatten dough into well greased 9x13 pan.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly browned.

For Blackberry Lemon Lime Filling:
4 extra large eggs (5 large)
1+1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup lime juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup all purpose flour
12 extra large blackberries, gently cut in small pieces
lemon zest, if desired or available

1. While shortbread dough is baking, begin the filling.
2. Whisk together eggs and sugar well.
3. Add lemon and lime juices, mixing well.
4. Add flour, and zest (if desired).
5. Gently cut berries, but do not add to liquid.

6. When crust is finished browning, remove from oven and immediately pour over lemon filling.
7. Drop berry pieces over the surface of the lemon filling.
8. Reduce temperature to 300 degrees and bake an additional 25-35 minutes, or until set when touched with the pad of your finger.

Let cool completely before cutting. Keep refrigerated.

9. Before serving, dust with powdered sugar and garnish with an additional berry and mint leaves.
Lemon & Lime & Blackberry:


I don't make plain lemon bars the same way, but you could. I like this filling for plain lemon bars:

Trish's Plain Jane Lemon Bars

6 XL eggs
3 cups sugar
2 T lemon zest
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup all purpose flour

Prepare the same as my Blackberry Lemon Lime Bars EXCEPT do not reduce temperature to 300, keep it at 350, and bake for 35-50 minutes or until set when touched with the pad of your finger.
Enjoy all that
It's nice to have a little dessert with your

*HINTS* Do not dust entire pan with powdered sugar unless you are prepared to eat them all at that time (like for church or something). Just dust them individually, they stay pretty that way. Otherwise the moisture in the bars wets the sugar and makes it ugly over time. ;) Also, if using a glass dish, reduce temps by 25 degrees.

11 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

heavenly day! those look delicious!

girl you've got SKILLZ!

Kathy C said...

Oh. My. Gosh. As soon as my 30-day sugar fast is over, this is what I'm indulging in FOR SURE! Thanks for sharing (although it's so very, very cruel ;).

Elena said...

Hmmm....don't have blackberries, but I might have to give these a try with huckleberries. Now that I have a freezer full of them.

kchristner said...

This looks yummy...but I don't think my diet would appreciate them! But I'm drooling just looking at the pictures :)

Blasé said...

Makes my mouth water!

I bet you have to spell your last name everytime for folks.

Risa said...

okay I'm going to lick my computer screen now!!

Nichols Family said...

I can not wait to make these. Or you can just make them for me for my birthday. October 4th. ;)
Jennie

outdoor.mom said...

this looks fabulous!!

Valerie said...

I am seriously DROOLING over those beautiful pics of that divine-looking dessert. So glad to have this recipe!

Art and Appetite said...

Ahhhh, those looks soo delish. I've always wanted to make this--now that you posted it, I sure will make it.

Thanks for sharing.

Valerie said...

Wow! I've had this recipe and just made them this week??? They were very good and I put the recipe, credit to you and a link here on my blog. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin